Skip to main content

The Road to Freedom


I guess it is okay to say "Happy Independence Day Nigeria!" 
It is?
Very good.

As the country celebrates its independence today, I can't help but think about what we as individuals also need independence from; yes, there are a lot of things we need independence from, but this one especially: Imposter Syndrome.

In July, while I was in the middle of my semester's exam, I received an email informing me that I was an awardee of an award for academic excellence. I didn't know how to feel honestly. On one hand, I was extremely grateful to God because I'd be nothing without his help. On the other hand, I was worried because my last semester's results had a wide gap from what earned me the award in the first place, so I only told my family members and I kept on moving. I also told my friend about it, and I told her not to tell anyone because the award felt like blowing a trumpet that wasn't there, and anytime I heard anyone call me Star, I'd tell them to keep quiet because people would think I have sense. So brazy, I know.

I attended the event as silently as I knew how to, collected my award as quietly as I could and kept the pictures I took away from prying eyes and a series of questions. 

I didn't think I had imposter syndrome, though; I just thought my worry(s) came from the fact that God, sweat and tears got me this far, and  I have experienced a fair deal of failure. So if anything happens later on I wouldn't have to explain myself. 
Again, lmao.

Anyway, I was to write a blog post on overcoming imposter syndrome as a student, so I went to look for a suitable definition to help my readers. What I didn't know was that the definition would slap me right in the face. I mean, I thought I knew the meaning of imposter syndrome, but looking at that definition was like revealing the battles I fought internally.

Below is one of the definitions I found:

'Imposter Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where individuals doubt their abilities, skills, or accomplishments and fear being exposed as a "fraud," despite clear evidence of their competence. It often occurs in high-achieving individuals who feel they don't deserve their success and attribute their achievements to luck rather than ability. This leads to feelings of inadequacy, self-doubt, and anxiety, even when performing well.'

Now, I know that my problem was (is) imposter syndrome. I was (am) battling with imposter syndrome. So when I say we need independence from imposter syndrome, I mean "WE" in every sense.

P.S. Not thinking that you are smart enough to have imposter syndrome IS imposter syndrome (Exactly).

If I say after finding out I have gained independence from it, then my independence will just be like Nigeria's: independent by words but not in reality and I don't want that.

Hence, this post does not have a resolution. While I did write a blog post on overcoming imposter syndrome, I'm still on the journey to overcoming it myself. But I am certain that I will, indeed, gain my freedom from it.


If you are battling with imposter syndrome or you have battled with it, please share your experience with us in the comments. It may just be the turning point someone needs♥️

Comments

  1. Congratulations my law✨

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this. Im still battling with it when it comes to physics. I attribute it to luck and speed when punching calculators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Judith! You're a star, and you shine so bright💫❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rants and Reflections...

I don't have a story or hot take today, I just want to talk so I'll title this my "Rant 101". Sometimes, we do things we’d rather not do(not necessarily bad things) because we are tired of holding up for too long. The problem is when we do those things we turn out to be the bad persons and are only understood by people who care to understand. Another problem is the people who those things are directed to should be more mature let’s say an older person and you’ve been the mature one all along and boom! You decide to be the child that you are and turn out to be the bad person.🥲  Personally, if I do something that’s not from anger but is out of character for me then something of what I explained above happened. Trust me the Holy Spirit convicts me right after or before that but my mind just keeps saying “Why can’t you speak to the other person? I am but a child”.  Up to the moment I’m writing this, something similar happened and the funny thing is I did nothing and doin

The Twentieth Floor

 I decided I was going to write a blog post to mark the end of an era and the beginning of another, but as I type this I have no words. Nothing comes to mind, but here I go anyway… It feels like just yesterday I was excited about turning thirteen. I think that was the very first birthday I was excited about. It felt so nice to finally be a teenager. I left the children’s church to the teen church, and I left Junior Secondary School for Senior Secondary School. The most interesting part was, I was towing a new path the ones before me didn’t tow. Judith decided to go to Art class to the “dismay” of the African parents’ stereotype. I think that was the first real decision that came with a battle that I ever took (big ups to my brother for fighting that battle with me🫂).   I was not always the brightest of mind, but it felt like a new journey for me and I had the nudge to be among the best, if not the best.  I had always been a church girl but, my 13th year marked the beginning of my rede

Introducing Judith

  AN INTRODUCTION...or maybe not👀 Heyyyy the name is Judith, pronounced as JU-dith not ju-DITH, It has been a lot of struggle getting people to pronounce it the right way.  Anyway, I officially welcome you to my blog😊💕  I love to think I'm mysterious, no, scratch that I am mostly mysterious😅but maybe just maybe this blog will be an insight into what goes on in my head. Interesting stuff I tell yah, but would it be interesting to you? I guess you'll have to follow me to find out. Now this was meant to be an introduction about myself, but picture this, you're in front of an interviewer and he throws the question, 'Tell me about yourself' and you freeze up, That's exactly what it's like writing about myself and of course I could be mechanical about it but where's the fun in that? Sooo, my name is Oluwafikayo Judith Adegoke, and some other names that I may or may not share along the way😶 My current age "status"😂 is getting old because tell me