Skip to main content

From "No Strings Attached" to "Mind the Gossips"

“You don’t owe anyone anything” and “What will people think?” are two extreme ideologies that govern the decisions people make, and I’m here to find a middle ground.
As human beings, we are social animals and we need the community to function. If we all live by the philosophy that we owe no one anything, then we can as well go back to the time before the state was created and everyone did as they liked, and maybe we will understand practically what Thomas Hobbes meant when he said the state of nature was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

I’m sure when we have ever said those words we didn’t see it as a big issue or a problem at all, but most of the issues we have as a nation or community stem from living by that ideology in the first place. The only reason a person will play loud music into the night despite knowing it disturbs others is because he doesn’t feel a need to consider how his actions affect others. The only reason why a person will choose to litter public spaces stems from the belief that they don’t owe anything to the community.

While living by this ideology has brought insecurity, corruption and greediness mostly in African nations, it has also affected the sanity of Western society leading to moral degradation and decadence (I believe I don’t need to explain what I mean by this, res ipsa loquitur).

But yeah, with this ideology we have raised and we are raising a younger generation to believe that they can do anything they want, anyhow they want it without considering the effect that it will have on others. I don’t know about you, but seeing bratty children raises my anger level. 
There is one extreme ideology. 

The second extreme ideology is when everything you do is based on the opinions others will have concerning it. We have our African parents to blame for this. 

The somewhat annoying thing is that, that particular thing may not be an issue, but because they have probably condemned others for doing it and now their child is doing the exact thing or they think themselves to be held in high esteem and they do not want people to think any lower.

The consequence of this extreme is that they either raise children who cannot do things that they love freely because of what others will think or say, or they raise children who do not give two cents what others think and live life just for them, thereby living by the other extreme. A lose-lose situation.

Here is my verdict, to have a sane society, you owe people a lot of things. You owe them decency, you owe them respect and dignity, you owe them civility and you owe them responsibility for your actions among other things. But what you do not owe them is control of your life. You don’t need to hand them the reins of your life, you need to live your life, and not the one others want you to live.
And, if the decision you take will hurt no one in the short and long run, then I don’t see why that should be anybody’s business. I have promised myself not to live my life based on what people feel or think. That is too great a control to give to people who are not contributing to your life if you ask me.

This is the middle ground on which I stand.

I would love to hear what you guys think about this. If you have dissenting views I would also love to understand your thought process.

P.s: You can now get updates once a new post is up, so click the menu icon and subscribe if you haven’t❤️








Comments

  1. That bit about either raising children who care too much or don't even care at all >>>>
    Too real

    ReplyDelete
  2. About Nigerian parents I'd say to the best of their understanding the were doing what they deemed best for us. But thank God some of us grow up to be able to choose how much we want people to be involved in our lives.
    I'm new here but already loving your content keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, they were only doing what they knew best and thank you so much for the compliment I'm glad you loved it!❤️

      Delete
  3. What happens when both worlds coincide? For example, you owe the community decency right? But to what extent cos we (gen Z's) have pushed back the walls of decency but at the same time it's not all of Us and what I'd consider as decent might not be what others consider decent (millennials).In the long run it doesn't affect anyone but our parents might not like it because of the " what would people think '' mentality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where being diplomatic with them comes in. You try to make them see your point of view and you try to understand theirs as well, that way it'll be easier to meet in the middle.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rants and Reflections...

I don't have a story or hot take today, I just want to talk so I'll title this my "Rant 101". Sometimes, we do things we’d rather not do(not necessarily bad things) because we are tired of holding up for too long. The problem is when we do those things we turn out to be the bad persons and are only understood by people who care to understand. Another problem is the people who those things are directed to should be more mature let’s say an older person and you’ve been the mature one all along and boom! You decide to be the child that you are and turn out to be the bad person.🥲  Personally, if I do something that’s not from anger but is out of character for me then something of what I explained above happened. Trust me the Holy Spirit convicts me right after or before that but my mind just keeps saying “Why can’t you speak to the other person? I am but a child”.  Up to the moment I’m writing this, something similar happened and the funny thing is I did nothing and doin

The Twentieth Floor

 I decided I was going to write a blog post to mark the end of an era and the beginning of another, but as I type this I have no words. Nothing comes to mind, but here I go anyway… It feels like just yesterday I was excited about turning thirteen. I think that was the very first birthday I was excited about. It felt so nice to finally be a teenager. I left the children’s church to the teen church, and I left Junior Secondary School for Senior Secondary School. The most interesting part was, I was towing a new path the ones before me didn’t tow. Judith decided to go to Art class to the “dismay” of the African parents’ stereotype. I think that was the first real decision that came with a battle that I ever took (big ups to my brother for fighting that battle with me🫂).   I was not always the brightest of mind, but it felt like a new journey for me and I had the nudge to be among the best, if not the best.  I had always been a church girl but, my 13th year marked the beginning of my rede

Introducing Judith

  AN INTRODUCTION...or maybe not👀 Heyyyy the name is Judith, pronounced as JU-dith not ju-DITH, It has been a lot of struggle getting people to pronounce it the right way.  Anyway, I officially welcome you to my blog😊💕  I love to think I'm mysterious, no, scratch that I am mostly mysterious😅but maybe just maybe this blog will be an insight into what goes on in my head. Interesting stuff I tell yah, but would it be interesting to you? I guess you'll have to follow me to find out. Now this was meant to be an introduction about myself, but picture this, you're in front of an interviewer and he throws the question, 'Tell me about yourself' and you freeze up, That's exactly what it's like writing about myself and of course I could be mechanical about it but where's the fun in that? Sooo, my name is Oluwafikayo Judith Adegoke, and some other names that I may or may not share along the way😶 My current age "status"😂 is getting old because tell me