Skip to main content

Faith, Femininity, and the Fight

 

As someone who grew up in a very conservative Christian home, Christianity has always been the way of life. Whether we enjoyed it or not was not up for debate.

When I got serious with God, it wasn't from the place of love or anything; it was from the place of guilt. The guilt of "he died for you do not have the decency to give him your life and live right? In just a snap of his fingers, you'll be gone and be thrown into an everlasting furnace." Or the "you're not even serious with your life, you should be burning for Christ."

This is why sometimes when unbelievers say "nobody asked Jesus to die for us" or something of that sort, I believe they're trying to avoid being guilt-tripped into giving their whole life to someone who they truly don't know.
  
For years, I didn't grow. The concept of growth was not even a thing. "I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord" was not something I could relate to.
There was no solid devotion or intimacy and consequently, there was no growth. 

Oh, God still answered my prayers pretty well; he was always showing up, but our relationship was very formal and very transactional if you know what I mean. 

I all of a sudden wanted more, not a closer relationship, but more of the dramatic, to be set ablaze. Those times were even darker because it was a situation of "you have to do it now or now, then nothing will happen," and I'd get so frustrated. Then I got tired of it all. (Side note, I'm maybe glad that nothing happened those times. Jesus deserved more than that. I'm sure he already has enough people who are on fire but have no intimacy with him.)  

The next turning point was the devotional way, which is very vital, because unlike God opening you up to possibilities suddenly, devotion gives you a solid foundation. I had struggles with devotion, not because I didn't want to get closer to God, but because my brain has been somehow conditioned to see it as a chore, and when I don't feel up to it, I start to feel guilty. 

"Soon," I realized that the problem was that I didn't love God enough and he wanted my heart, all of it. When you love someone, you want to spend time with them; when you love someone, you want to tell them everything; when you love someone, you let go of things for them, and when you love someone, you place them over anything else. That is devotion.

Let me cast your minds back to my birthday blog where I talked about John 21:22  ministering to me on the eve of my birthday. Well, in the verses preceding that particular verse, Jesus had asked Peter three times if he loved him and it took me a while to realise that he was asking me that same question. (Soon is not soon yeah?)

So herein lay my problem, I had tried a lot of things but never the one he truly wanted. Love may be a vague concept to me, but I've seen people who truly loved God, not for the signs, not for the wonders, but just because it is him, and, those are truly the ones I admire because they live the life of Christ truthfully and truly.  

I, however, have a goal, which is not just ministry accomplishments without intimacy. The goal is that Jesus finds his full expression in me, and for that to happen, I have to fall deeply in love with him.  
 
Now, I'm learning to love Jesus, steadily. Not because if I don't, I'd be damned, not because I want things from him, not because I was brought up to compulsorily have him around, but solely because I've seen his love for me, and I want to be able to replicate it to him. I want to see him smile at me and say, “You're doing very well." 

If devotion has been a chore to you, or intimacy has been unreachable, maybe you need to stop looking at everyone else and focus on your journey. Maybe you need to slow down and take it one step at a time, one day at a time.
Most importantly maybe you need to fall in love with the person of Jesus❤️ 

Comments

  1. The phrase "Jesus Loves you' is sometimes a lot to accept because barely thinking about it I start to wonder what exactly I did to merit his love. I also as a person has been a distant fellow to God. Many a times I go out of his commandment because I don't feel him close to me. I'm just really hoping and praying that I'd develop in his love.
    You'd be seeing a lot of my comments here because I love your content but its best I stay anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beautiful thing about his love, it's unmerited. I pray that you will grow and develop in his love as well❤️
      Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. Goodness gracious!!!
    This is my storyyyy, and the story of other conservative Christian girlies I know. Thank you for putting our thoughts into words.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments brings a smile to my face always🥺
      Amen, thank you my woman❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rants and Reflections...

I don't have a story or hot take today, I just want to talk so I'll title this my "Rant 101". Sometimes, we do things we’d rather not do(not necessarily bad things) because we are tired of holding up for too long. The problem is when we do those things we turn out to be the bad persons and are only understood by people who care to understand. Another problem is the people who those things are directed to should be more mature let’s say an older person and you’ve been the mature one all along and boom! You decide to be the child that you are and turn out to be the bad person.🥲  Personally, if I do something that’s not from anger but is out of character for me then something of what I explained above happened. Trust me the Holy Spirit convicts me right after or before that but my mind just keeps saying “Why can’t you speak to the other person? I am but a child”.  Up to the moment I’m writing this, something similar happened and the funny thing is I did nothing and doin

The Twentieth Floor

 I decided I was going to write a blog post to mark the end of an era and the beginning of another, but as I type this I have no words. Nothing comes to mind, but here I go anyway… It feels like just yesterday I was excited about turning thirteen. I think that was the very first birthday I was excited about. It felt so nice to finally be a teenager. I left the children’s church to the teen church, and I left Junior Secondary School for Senior Secondary School. The most interesting part was, I was towing a new path the ones before me didn’t tow. Judith decided to go to Art class to the “dismay” of the African parents’ stereotype. I think that was the first real decision that came with a battle that I ever took (big ups to my brother for fighting that battle with me🫂).   I was not always the brightest of mind, but it felt like a new journey for me and I had the nudge to be among the best, if not the best.  I had always been a church girl but, my 13th year marked the beginning of my rede

Introducing Judith

  AN INTRODUCTION...or maybe not👀 Heyyyy the name is Judith, pronounced as JU-dith not ju-DITH, It has been a lot of struggle getting people to pronounce it the right way.  Anyway, I officially welcome you to my blog😊💕  I love to think I'm mysterious, no, scratch that I am mostly mysterious😅but maybe just maybe this blog will be an insight into what goes on in my head. Interesting stuff I tell yah, but would it be interesting to you? I guess you'll have to follow me to find out. Now this was meant to be an introduction about myself, but picture this, you're in front of an interviewer and he throws the question, 'Tell me about yourself' and you freeze up, That's exactly what it's like writing about myself and of course I could be mechanical about it but where's the fun in that? Sooo, my name is Oluwafikayo Judith Adegoke, and some other names that I may or may not share along the way😶 My current age "status"😂 is getting old because tell me